Long before the construction of a high-speed freeway – before the thought of an Alderwood Shopping Mall – before the incorporation of a city called Lynnwood – even before the days of Highway 99, Seattle and Everett were connected by the tracks of an electric interurban line with a stop midway between the two cities known as Alderwood Manor, country living was the drawing card for people who settled on two to five acre plots to raise fruits, nuts, chickens, and mink. Among the early residents were a number of God-honoring Christian people with a strong desire to establish a place of worship and fellowship for God's people. They first started coming together in private homes in the area for Sunday School in 1919 using teaching materials provided by the American Sunday School Union (now known as American Missionary Fellowship). The rapid growth in numbers made it obvious that an adequate facility was needed. On November 28, 1920, a constitution was adopted, and Alderwood Manor Community Church was born.
Steady growth in the community brought on a steady increase in church attendance. Two worship services on Sunday were necessary to accommodate the growing numbers of people. It was again necessary to consider a larger facility. In 1961, the brick building was completed and dedicated after using the basement for worship services for more than a year. The original wood-frame building was used primarily for Sunday School and youth activities.
In 1963, it became necessary for the church to incorporate as a non-profit corporation under the laws of the state. In 1967, Alderwood Manor Community Church (AMCC) joined the Independent Fundamental Churches of America (IFCA). God has faithfully provided dedicated leadership for our steadily growing congregation. The list of resident pastors has included men like Dr. Frank Warren (who later became the president of Whitworth College), Hubert Burgess, Paul Roper, Dick Fuller, Bob Parker, John Johnston, Dr. Lowell Wendt, and Dr. Bill Mays.
Under the dynamic ministry of Dr. Wendt, the congregation experienced a very rapid period of growth and again faced the necessity of expanding. Additional property was acquired, and the original building was demolished to provide a five-acre plot for expansion. Through a building bond program and generous gifts of faithful individuals, the contract was signed with the W.K. Lee Company with the understanding that volunteers from the congregation would be used as much as possible. The dedication of the new worship and education complex took place at the first service on Thanksgiving Sunday, 1977. It was a joyous occasion in April 1991 when the final bonds for our building were retired.
Church expansion has not only taken place on our campus here in Lynnwood. Discussion in the early 1990's focused on planting a church in another area. February 7, 1993 was the birth date of our daughter church, Snohomish Community Church, when several of our families and our assistant pastor, Tim Walton, held their first worship service in a school facility just outside the city of Snohomish. They are now a mature and fully functioning church.
In obedience to the Great Commission of our Lord Jesus, the ministry of Alderwood Community Church now reaches around the world through our missionary families and individuals supported financially and in prayer by our congregation.
As we face the challenges of the future, we are confident of God's continued blessing under the current leadership of Pastor Brad McConnaughey since 1998. His passion for God and love for the Word of God permeates Pastor Brad's sermons. This value is carried on in the lives of our leaders, teachers, and church family. Within the last 12 years, Pastor Brad has also led us in a remodel of the main auditorium and the addition of 22,000 square feet of ministry space to accommodate our main lobby, children, and youth ministries. In 2009, we secured adjacent property and added close to 90 additional parking spots.
May Alderwood Community Church continue to be a lighthouse of truth until our Lord calls us home.