LIFE GROUP PROJECT IDEAS
UPDATED JANUARY 10, 2012
ALDERWOOD COMMUNITY CHURCH
ADDRESS: 3403 Alderwood Mall Blvd., Lynnwood WA 98036
CONTACT PERSON: See below
- Fourth of July Picnic: Your group can serve a shift managing an attraction such as a big inflatable for kids AND/OR helping the custodians tear-down furniture after Sunday morning services and reset furniture after the picnic. CONTACT: Dave.Ballbach@amcc.org
- Trunk ‘n Treat at Halloween: CONTACT: Laurie.Beavers@amcc.org
- Your group can serve a shift managing an attraction such as a big inflatable for kids.
- Your group can plan & execute an activity station like the cakewalk room.
- Your group can provide a cluster of cars in the parking lot at which the kids do their on-site “trick-or-treating.”
- Your entire group can be the ushering staff for one of the multiple performances of the Christmas Program: Wednesday night, Friday night, Saturday matinee, Saturday evening, Sunday matinee, Sunday evening. CONTACT: Jeannette.Shull@amcc.org
- Your entire group can volunteer to help staff preschool childcare for the Christmas Eve Service. CONTACT: Lisa.Davis@amcc.org
- Special hands-on helping projects: Whenever a “group-friendly” ACC “Helping Hands” project comes to light, you will receive an email announcing the opportunity. If it fits your group and schedule, you can “claim” the project by emailing Todd Marshall directly. “Helping Hands” typically gets requests for things like light home repairs, moving crews, yard work, etc.
PREGNANCY RESOURCE CENTER
ADDRESS: 4310 Hoyt Ave, Everett WA 98203
CONTACT PERSON: Andrew Woodyard
- Hold a group “Baby Shower” to provide stock items for their “baby store” where young moms can shop with PRC “dollars” to acquire baby clothes, disposable diapers, etc.
- Manage a donation center in front of a major area grocery store for baby diaper donations. PRC personnel will help you choose a date and location and will help you with all the promo set-up. It's kind of like kids selling Girl Scout cookies, except you are encouraging shoppers to purchase baby items in the store and then donate them to your PRC station outside.
- Landscape and building exterior work parties. Call PRC to inquire concerning current needs.
- Staff the PRC Change for Life baby bottle fundraising table in the West Hallway for the several week campaign before Sanctity of Human Life Sunday (always the third Sunday of January).
- PRC needs a small group to help prepare their quarterly newsletter for mailing.
The newsletters are mailed in March, June, September and December. The activity is basically folding, stuffing, labeling, etc. It can be done at the PRC center or off-site.
VISION HOUSE/JACOB'S WELL
ADDRESS: (Vision House Jacob's Well Site) 19610 20th Ave. NE, Shoreline WA 98155
CONTACT PERSON: Susan Camerer at email@example.com or 425.228.6356
BLOG OF VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: buildjacobswell.blogspot.com
. Keep checking this blog for current construction activities and volunteer opportunities.
Vision House is expanding to Shoreline thanks to local churches, businesses, and community groups that are rallying with funding, in-kind donations, and thousands of volunteer hours to build the Jacob's Well complex. When complete, the facility will include 20 housing units, a child care center, counseling offices, and program space for homeless mothers and children.
***Last year the Alderwood Community Church congregation contributed all the money to purchase the windows which are now installed.
EVERETT GOSPEL MISSION
Men's Shelter & Donation Center: 3711 Smith Ave., Everett WA 98201
Women and Children's Shelter: 5118 S 2nd Ave., Everett WA 98203
MAILING ADDRESS: PO Box 423, Everett WA 98206-0423
PHONE: 425.740.2506 (Jonathan's direct line)
CONTACT PERSON: Volunteer Coordinator, Jonathan Anderson
- Looking ahead to Christmas 2012: “The Everett Gospel Mission has a need for food items for food baskets. During the Holiday season, we hand out hundreds of baskets to people struggling to put food on their tables. Right now, we are extremely low on almost all food needs. If you or your organization, church, club, or company can help provide any of these items; we will make sure they are distributed to families who need our help.” Click HERE to see the “Needs and Wishes” website for details.
- Bring your group to help set-up for or serve a holiday meal.
- Innovate a special emphasis night which your group will resource and lead. For example:
- One local coach (with his players and parents) put on an annual Super-Bowl Party for the men that featured the broadcast game, snack, games, prizes, and a Gospel talk/testimonies during halftime.
- A Boeing Employees group put on a karaoke and talent show night.
- Do a “gift shower” for the men’s facility with your group. Call EGM for current needs.
- Schedule a time slot to go “on site” with coffee, hot chocolate, and donuts to hand out while you hang-out with the guys and chat with them.
- Schedule a date to do “deep cleaning” at the Men’s Mission.
Women and Children’s Facility
- “Adopt a Room” - Your group can adopt a room in this expanding facility.
- Over the next year new apartment rooms will be coming “online” for occupancy and need to be furnished and decorated.
- Existing rooms need to be refreshed and prepped for new residents during occupant turnovers. Either way, your group can adopt a room and “own” it long-term. For cost estimates and FAQ’s, click HERE to see the “Adopt-a-Room” website.
A NOTE ABOUT EXPENSES: If the costs are too much for your group, consider enlisting your Adult Fellowship Group or other ACC group to make contributions with you! AND/OR the ACC Community Outreach Fund will match your cash contributions dollar-for-dollar up to $2000 per year.
- Craft nights for kids - Depending on the current age of resident children (the demographic ebbs and flows) your group can resource and lead a children’s craft night.
- Landscape and building exterior projects - Call EGM for current needs.
- Do a “gift shower” for the women’s/children’s facility with your group. See website for current needs. They always need donations of diapers and women’s products.
- Craft/Spa nights for the women residents. Resource and lead a craft activity like knitting. Do manicures. Provide a time slot of child care so the women can get out for some R&R or run errands.
YFC's TEEN PARENTS MINISTRY
ADDRESS: Everett WA
CONTACT PERSON: Kristi Foster
- One-on-one mentoring
- Food donation and/or preparation
- Desserts for special occasions
- Child care volunteers
- Coordinate a "baby necessity drive" at a local store or church
- Provide giveaways such as (candy bars, lotions, candles, gift cards, etc.)
- Christmas gifts for mom & baby
- Baby Boutique Manager (Manages the Baby Bucks and runs the Boutique)
NOTE: Click HERE to see the EGM Volunteer Website for additional serving project ideas.